All About Jojoba Oil And The Wonders It Works On Hair
Jojoba oil is a wax-like oil extracted from jojoba plants. Because of its nutritional values, manufacturers started using it in cosmetics and food in the 1970s. To date, it is found as a prime ingredient in many skins, hair and nail products. Though it is called oil, jojoba is actually a liquid wax. Interestingly, the molecular structure of jojoba and human skin oil are extremely comparable.
Jojoba oil has a longer shelf life due to its composition, thus making it better than other oils like canola and almond oils, which tend to get rancid very fast.
Nutritional content of jojoba oil: The oil is rich in nutrients like Vitamin E and B. It is also rich in antioxidants and minerals like chromium, copper, and zinc. Organic, cold-pressed, jojoba oil has the highest level of nutrients and antioxidants.
Benefits of jojoba oil on hair
- Helps in hair conditioning: Mostly jojoba oil contains 97% of monounsaturated fats, which locks in the moisture of the hair. Depending on the dryness of your hair, you can either use the oil pre or post shampoo or even do a deep conditioning overnight.
- Maintains natural scalp balance: Jojoba oil is similar to human sebum. It doesn’t secrete excess oil, thus maintaining the pH balance of your scalp.
- Controls dandruff: Jojoba oil naturally contains palmitic acid and stearic acid which are known for conditioning and protecting the scalp. It also reduces the risks of dandruff and itchy scalp. Based on the severity of dandruff, you can use jojoba oil either before or after shampooing.
- Repair damage from heat and styling: The fatty acids in jojoba oil not only condition the hair but can also preserve it from the damage caused by heat and styling. It is advised to use jojoba oil both before and after styling. For color-treated hair, jojoba oil can help in preserving the color.
- Promotes hair thickness and growth: Vitamins and minerals found in jojoba oil help in strengthening the hair, they also promote hair growth and thickness.
- Delays graying of hair: Deficiency of copper leads to loss of pigment, melanin, which results in premature graying of hair. But since jojoba oil is rich in copper content, it prevents the graying of hair.
How to apply jojoba oil on your hair?
Apply directly: Since jojoba oil is waxy in nature, it is advised to warm it up before applying directly to the hair. Apply it to your hair (avoiding the scalp) and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash it off using shampoo and conditioner.
Mix it with products: You can also mix jojoba oil to products like shampoo or conditioners. Add a few drops of it to a dollop of your shampoo or conditioner and use it.
Buy products that contain it: It is very simple and easy to get shampoos or conditioners which use jojoba oil as their prime ingredients.
The studies conducted on jojoba oils are pretty old, so there is no sure authenticity of this information. However, if with all the limited information and research, jojoba oils work best on skin and hair. So massage a few drops on your scalp and hair and cross your fingers.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
No comment at this time!